In December 2009 a group of intellectuals, teachers, activists and self employed citizens decided to create the “Association of Friends of the Florestan Fernandes National School “, with the following goals:
1) To promote the school activities , by all possible means
2) To start a national campaign for the adhesion of new members
3) To promote activities and solidarity campaigns to raise funds, donations of books, magazines, publications and audiovisual resources for the Library
4) To support and encourage the development of projects of education and schooling of rural, urban, indigenous and Afro Brazilian children, youth and and projects aimed to tackle ethnic, gender , sex and religion
5) To develop specific partnerships with training and education institutions and organisations
6) To motivate projects engaged with studies on the tradition of critical thinking
7) To stimulate exchange of training activities in Brazil and Latin America and other continents .